Correctional Education Center
- Publication Data ：
- Last updated：2020-03-04
- Count Views：825
Welcome to Correctional Education Center!
The location of the Correctional Education Center was originally planned for post-imprisonment mandatory treatment of sexual offenders. However, the project suspended due to severe disputes and resistance by the locals. After many communications with the central government on how to re-purpose the site, a multiple purpose Correctional Education Center was created and opened on September 28th, 2018, providing:
- Professional training
- Project studies
- Large-scale edificatory and recreational performances and activities
- Volunteer training
- Joint lectures with local communities
Following the Chiayi Prison Museum and the Taitung Correctional Arts Exhibition Hall in southern and eastern Taiwan respectively, there is also a place on the west coast that reveals the correctional edification and educational accomplishments from correctional organizations nationwide. Located close to the Taiwan High Speed Rail Taichung Station, Ling Tung University and Rainbow Village, this is the first center on the island that displays the achievements of correctional efforts in edification, operational training and implies educational intention.
- Public Art Works: The two prize large public art works at the entrance of the center are created by the inmates at Taichung Prison and named as "Heart's Wish" and "Parent & Child".
- Façade Curtains – Four Core Concepts: Implying faith, hope, love, happiness with the heart-shaped petals of the four-leaved clover, the four hearts rotate in different directions meaning turning the wisdom of mind – changing your mind turning your destiny around.
- Color Life: The imageries of Chinese opera facial paintings interpret the life experiences that each different individual has or experienced in life.Façade Curtains – Four Core Concepts: Implying faith, hope, love, happiness with the heart-shaped petals of the four-leaved clover, the four hearts rotate in different directions meaning turning the wisdom of mind – changing your mind turning your destiny around.
- Outside of the Center：
1st floor of the center：
- Correctional System History Room: Presenting important historical materials on the development of Taiwan's prisons.
- Exhibition Area: Displaying traditional crafts or cultural creations achieved by the efforts of correctional organizations in edification and education and operational training.
- World Prison Map & Interactive Photo Area: Showing unique or interesting prisons in each country and offering introductions of correctional organizations in Taiwan.
- Gift Shop: Selling self-run business products made by Taichung Prison.
- Video Visitation Center for the Correctional Organizations in the Middle of Taiwan: To be modernized and technologized, video visitation allows relatives visit inmates in the distance without suffering fatigue from travelling.
2nd floor of the center：
- Simulated Ward: Experience the life in the ward personally.
- 3D Painted Room: Painted by Zhi Min Lin, a professional 3D painter, each work has its own particular and thought-provoking meanings (mother elephant takes her baby to run, the style of Bajiquan or octupole hung boxing, glass bottle closing downward, frog is in great peril as if on the brink of a deep abyss, walk up a flight of steps to get back, giraffe also knows that he must first learn to bow his head, calm down and reflect upon choices).
- VR Experience Zone: Through media technology, you will deeply experience the facilities and works in prison and inmates' daily life style.
- Meeting Room: For meetings or studies.
- Multifunction classroom: A full-scale workshop model equipped with work tables, work benches, sinks and other workshop equipment, and mainly used as a simulated classroom for the on-the-job trainings of correctional organization staff.
- Multimedia Classroom / Multifunction Hall: For exhibitions, conferences or training courses.
Tuesday – Friday, 9:00-12:00 / 13:30-16:30
Saturday – Sunday, 9:00-12:00 / 13:00-16:00
Close on national holidays and Monday
Group reservation should be completed 15 days before visiting.
Service hours for booking: Monday – Friday, 8:00-11:30 / 14:00-16:30
Service line: +886-4-2389-1296 #239
※Volunteer guide tour service is available on 9:30, 10:30, 14:00 and 15:00 when the center opens
※Facility: free parking / WiFi / restroom / bus station
※Address: No. 9, Peide Rd., Nantun Dist., Taichung City 408, Taiwan (R.O.C.) (Located on the left side of Taichung Prison's gate)